When we think of psychotherapy most of us picture meeting with a therapist face-to-face in a cozy office and perhaps even lying on a couch. However, therapy is evolving along with changes in technology and communication practices. Research has shown that online therapy, also called telehealth, is equally effective as face-to-face therapy for many clients.
The benefits of online therapy include:
- Convenience – traveling to an appointment can be a hassle! You can meet with your therapist from the comfort of your home or office without having to battle traffic, parking or weather.
- Privacy – meeting online can offer more privacy than meeting in a public space or office setting.
- Comfort – you may feel more comfortable in your own space and you can wear your favorite yoga pants, have a cup of tea and even have your pet nearby!
- Travel – for those who travel frequently attending regular appointments isn’t feasible. Online therapy offers increased flexibility with minimal disruption to the therapy process.
- Logistical challenges – transportation difficulties, child care and illness can make it difficult to leave the house for therapy.
- Rural areas – some rural areas have limited mental health resources and finding the right fit therapist in your community can be challenging. Online therapy offers increased access to therapists living in your state.
If you have questions about online therapy or working with me send me an email or call me at 615-669-2194. I’d love to hear from you and see if my practice is the right fit for you!